Our Domestic Open Adoption Pogram focuses on open adoptions. This means that birth parent/s select the domestic adoptive family and have the option to stay in contact with them throughout the child’s life.
Domestic Open Adoption Research Says…
- Domestic open adoption is not only best for adopted children, but also for birth and adoptive parents.
- The children do much better by having that piece of their life’s story filled in.
- Domestic open adoption allows birth mothers to rest assured in their child’s well-being.
- Adoptive families have access to important health information, family history and personal knowledge of traits and talents that may be genetically inherited.
The degree of openness can vary based on the level of contact desired whether it is through pictures, letters, phone calls and/or visits.
Our Domestic Adoption Program staff helps the birth parents choose the right adoptive family for them and their child. Often things such as location, lifestyle, religion, ethnicity, personality, and hobbies are major factors in this decision.
In California, the birth parent/s have the option to make this agreement legally binding, however, when developing a trusting relationship, many birth families feel comfortable with a verbal agreement.
It is normal and even expected to have anxiety about open adoption at first. Other people’s stories can help you overcome your own worries. We are happy to help you:
- Talk to adoptive parents who were nervous about openness in the beginning of their domestic adoption process.
- Hear from the birth parents on why they wanted an open adoption.
- Be connected to teens and young-adult adoptees that have open adoptions.
We can also guide you to research, readings and local conferences focusing on domestic adoption to gain more knowledge.